Friday, September 3, 2010

Impunity

So I have been on hiatus for the past six months or so, trying to catch up on work and home and all the other things that people do besides complain to the great indifferent internets.

I have read many things in that time which have caused my blood to boil, yet one small comment from some ignorant fuckwit has pushed me over the edge.  As part of my non-pseudo-anonymous life I keep up with a number of computer security related things which is all good and fun.  Just a few days ago there was some shenanigans about some software put out by some big company - the details are really not all that important.  Looking over the comments I see:
It appears this flaw was irresponsibly disclosed, that is, the vendor was not consulted for producing a hotfix before dumping the details on the web. I think sw vendors should refuse to fix irresponsibly disclosed bugs or exploits and direct users to do whatever they want to the hackers in retaliation. Maybe corporates should even have a policy of hunting down vxers and hackers, who publish zero days. I can't see why a big company, richer than many small countries, shouldn't have the authority to dispose of their enemies with impunity, in the same way any small country can, if they have a secret service.
Huh?

Anybody here see why big companies (or governments!) should not be able to dispose of their enemies with impunity?  Even if this is a contemporary Modest Proposal, I have had the misfortune of people share this very same notion after a drink or two.

Not sure exactly why this set me off, but with a little luck I might get a few things written in spite of myself.

FIN|ACK

No comments: